Maidstone Green Party are standing two candidates in next month's local by-elections. Jill Shepherd is standing for the Borough Council seat in Allington and Stuart Jeffery is standing for the County Council seat for Maidstone Central.
Jill Shepherd works for the Open University and also runs a company helping children learn Chinese. Jill has a family and lives in Bearsted.
Stuart Jeffery works as a manager in the NHS and is a registered nurse. He is Chair of Kent Greens and lives close to Maidstone's town centre.
They are campaigning on a range of issues including:
- We want a new democracy, one where councillors are on the side of residents and are not told how to vote by their party. We will be independent Greens with no party whip.
- We want 20mph streets where people live which will improve road safety, reduce pollution and improve communities.
- We will fight the ideologically driven austerity cuts and campaign for much needed jobs
- We want local schools for local people, not selective schools that turn children into commuters.
- Cheaper and more frequent buses, a proper network of cycle lanes and pavements that are not obstacle courses.
- These are essential for people who are not using cars - we will campaign tirelessly for them.
- Councils up and down the country are offering people free insulation. People in Maidstone are facing rapidly rising fuel bills and yet the offer of free insulation is not available. We want to change this unfair situation that helps no-one.